The Dias Family

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Thyroid, blood, and other annoyances that will be forgotten after the ultrasound tomorrow...

I had my thyroid appointment this morning at 8am which was torture in itself. I really liked the doctor and that is probably good because it turns out I'll be seeing him a bunch. I was sent to see him because the normal TSH rage is .4 to 5.5. My prenatal tests came back at 5.58. My T4 and T3 levels were normal, but my OB wanted me to see the specialist. He said I'm showing no symptoms of hypothyroidism but that doesn't really mean anything. The fact that the TSH is slightly high means my thyroid is under producing and it will most likely get worse not better. It sounded like if my blood tests today still come back out of range I have to go on thyroid medication. I asked about the effects on pregnancy and he seemed convinced it was much better for my baby that my levels are normal than to not take the hormone. I need to do alot more reading on the subject though. Hypothyroidism is supposedly REALLY common in women and the issue will probably persist after pregnancy (but it sounded like there was a slight chance it is pregnancy induced). There are thyroid problems in the family, so I'm guessing it is just coincidence that I got test while I was pregnant. I'm not worried, it isn't a big deal, I just don't like that I might have to start medication while I'm pregnant since I've been so careful about things going in my system.

I had to get a blood test following the appointment and that was just hell. I've been exhausted from the ordeal the entire day. The last time I had blood taken, I had this guy that literally jabbed the needle into my arm. Now, I do have a MAJOR aversion to needles but usually I get anxious about it for no reason because it really doesn't end up hurting and they are slow and gentle. Well, today I had the same guy.. I almost asked for someone different but decided to give him another chance - HUGE mistake! He jabbed the needle in and then something felt really wrong and the blood wasn't flowing. He proceeded to twist the needle around in my arm which made me feel incredibly faint and nauseas. He then finally said, "hm, maybe I should try a smaller needle" and I said, "why don't we try a different arm". The second arm went fine (except for the jab) but the first one hurt and burned for the next couple of hours and it is bruised. Next time I'll be sure not to get this guy. I feel sorry for the person who has to give me an IV in the hospital! I started crying after the second one, I think just from the out of control feeling of having to sit there and let someone put and sharp object into your body and then having it hurt so much. I've had a tattoo and 2 piercings and I've been just fine. The guy felt bad but I don't care, I'm never letting him touch my arm again.

We pack tonight to go to SD - woohoo!!! I can't wait to see the Ocean again along with all the wonderful people there! Tomorrow will simply be the best day ever - ultrasound in the morning and SD in the evening!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home